This course is essential for personnel who are required to operate sling and guide loads in the course of their daily work. In line with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 employees must be aware of the hazards and risks involved when using equipment. This course is designed to enable operatives to gain the necessary skills to sling and guide loads.
Objectives By the end of the course the candidates will be able to:
- Identify & explain relevant information relating to lifting accessories and match to certification.
- Ensure that the area of operation is suitable for lifting activities.
- Estimate weights and centers of gravity
- Select appropriate lifting accessories for different types of loads.
- Sling various loads including balanced, unbalanced and loose.
- Guide various loads and place accurately including to and from confined and ‘blind’ areas.
- Carry out lifts according to given instructions.
- Use different forms of communication.
- Keep within safe working parameters.
- Return lifting accessories to storage.
- Recognise other different types of lifting accessories and their applications
Aims of the course
To provide delegates with the skills and knowledge to safely sling and guide various loads inline with manufacturers guidance, HSE legislation and industry professional body guidance.
The theory part of the training which is approximately 30% of the course will be delivered in a classroom environment, which will be tutor lead. The remaining 70% of the course will be practical based.
Assessment Candidates will complete both theory and practical tests as set by LANTRA Awards
Duration Dependent upon experience
Maximum Number of Delegates 4