Side Arm Flail Mower
This course is designed for experienced tractor drivers, or people who have attended a tractor driving course and who have to use a flail cutter in agriculture, amenity, forestry or industrial industries. This can either be a novice or experienced operative.
Objectives By the end of the course the candidates will be able to:
- Comply with legal requirements with an emphasis on safe practice
- Identify the risks associated with the use of flail cutters
- Select the appropriate PPE and machine guarding
- Identify and understand the controls and components of the machine
- Carry out pre-start and daily checks and maintenance as indicated in the operator.s manual
- Understand the added dangers of operating on the highway and in public areas
- Put in place any signs or warnings in order to achieve a safe working environment
- Inspect the work area for Health and Safety and Environmental concerns.
- Safely start, stop and check all mechanisms including prime mover and cutter
- Understand the stability factors associated with the use of side mounted equipment
- Drive and operate the hydraulic controls to achieve an accurate cut
- Operate the machine in a safe and competent manner, maintaining all round observation
- Carry out after-use checks and maintenance
Aims of the course
To provide delegates with the skills and knowledge to safely operate a flail side arm mower, inline with manufacturers guidance, HSE guidance and codes of practice..
The theory part of the training which is approximately 30% of the course will be delivered in a classroom environment, which will be tutor lead. The remaining 70% of the course will be practical based.
Assessment Candidates will complete both theory and practical tests as set by LANTRA Awards
Duration Dependent upon experience