Ride on Roller
This course is essential for personnel who are required to operate a Ride-on or Ride-in Roller in the course of their daily work.
In line with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 employees must be aware of the hazards and risks involved when using equipment. This course is designed to enable operators to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to safely operate a Ride-on or Ride-in Roller.
Objectives By the end of the course the candidates will be able to:
- Identify the basic construction, purpose and function of components and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges.
- Identify and comply with manufacturers’ instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook, other information sources and applicable legislation.
- Carry out all pre-use and running checks.
- Set the roller for site travel.
- Travel over differing types of terrain, including undulating ground.
- Manoeuvre in confined areas using forward and reverse direction.
- Set the roller for compaction duties.
- Prepare an area prior to compacting, i.e. traffic/personnel management etc.
- Compact different materials to given instructions.
- Compact up to supported and unsupported edges.
- Compact against radii.
- Compact around obstructions.
- Place the roller in an out-of-service condition.
- Recognise compacted and uncompacted areas.
- State conditions that may cause instability of the roller.
- State safety procedures when working up to unsupported edges.
- Explain safety procedures when compacting on inclines.
- Explain the loading and unloading procedures on and off a transport.
Aims of the course
To provide delegates with the skills and knowledge to safely sling and guide various loads inline with manufacturers guidance, HSE legislation and codes of practice.
The theory part of the training which is approximately 30% of the course will be delivered in a classroom environment, which will be tutor lead. The remaining 70% of the course will be practical based.
Assessment Candidates will complete both theory and practical tests as set by LANTRA Awards
Duration Dependent upon experience