Brush cutter Maintenance & Operation
This course is essential for personnel who are required to operate Brush Cutters in the course of their daily work. In line with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 employees must be aware of the hazards and risks involved when using equipment.
This course is designed to enable operators to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out basic maintenance and safely operate a Brush Cutter through a range of varying terrain.
Objectives By the end of the course the candidates will be able to:
- Identify hazards specific to the site , task and machine
- Clean power unit and inspect for damage
- Service the air filter
- Service the spark plug
- Service the starter recoil mechanism
- Demonstrate knowledge of fuel filter maintenance
- Check angle drive gear box
- Identify safety decals and state their meaning
- Identify the controls of the brush cutter
- Sharpen brush cutter knife
- Remove cord head and fit nylon / metal knife
- Fuel machine / mixing of oil and fuel
- Inspection and attachment of the harness.
- Safe start procedure
- Operate brush cutter using the scything method
- Safe shut down and cleaning of brush cutter
Aims of the course
To provide delegates with the theoretical and practical ability to operate and maintain brush cutters in line with manufacturers guidance and HSE codes of practice.
The course will be delivered in a workshop environment followed by a practical session in the field with return to the workshop to complete the assessments
Assessment Candidates will complete both theory and practical tests as set by LANTRA Awards and NPTC
Duration Dependent upon experience