180 Backhoe loader
In line with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 employees must be aware of the hazards and risks involved when using equipment. This course is designed to enable operators to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to safely operate a 180 backhoe loader.
Aims of the course
To provide delegates with the skills and knowledge to safely operate a backhoe loader inline with manufacturers guidance and HSE legislation and guidance.
Objectives: By the end of the course the candidates will be able to:
- Identify the basic construction, purpose and function of components and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges.
- Identify and comply with manufacturers’ instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook, other information sources and applicable legislation.
- Carry out all pre-use and running checks.
- Configure the excavator for site and road travel.
- Travel the machine over varying types of terrain, including rough, undulating ground and substantial inclines.
- Manoeuvre the excavator in confined areas, using forward and reverse direction.
- Set the machine to excavate.
- Explain precautions to be taken for underground and overhead services and other hazards.
- Excavate below ground level on a variety of excavations in different ground types.
- Place spoil into various sizes of vehicles/hoppers.
- Grade, spread and level different types of terrain.
- Remove and re-attach buckets.
- Place the machine in an out-of-service condition.
- Explain the loading and unloading procedures on and off a transporter.
The theory part of the training which is approximately 30% of the course will be delivered in a classroom environment, which will be tutor lead. The remaining 70% of the course will be practical based.
Assessment Candidates will complete both theory and practical tests as set by LANTRA Awards
Duration Dependent upon experience